Encourage users to get backtraces using apport

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 13 21:56:07 GMT 2007

Hey,

On ven, 2007-12-14 at 01:22 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:

>     For crashes in stable releases, I feel we have a much better
> chance of being able to retrace a report successfully, as the package
> set remains basically constant.  For crashes in the development
> release, I agree wholeheartedly.

Right stable bugs can usually be retraced, still it's easier to let
launchpad do the retracing and the duplication when required than having
the bugsquad doing the work there

> >  The number of bugs is already higher than what we can
> > deal with and important bugs often get reported again quickly we have no
> > real need to make special efforts to deal with non-apport generated
> > crashed
>
>     Maybe I don't understand then.  I do want the apport generated
> crash report, but if apport itself runs into some problem uploading
> (maybe the crash happened while the reporter did not have internet

You can send the apport bug whenever you want, the .crash is stored on
the disk and you just have to double click on it to send the bug, a bug
sent using this method is automatically retraced

>     To put it another way, I'd be much happier if we had 500,000 open
> well-triaged bugs than 0 open bugs.  In the former case, there's a
> clear indication of what needs to be done (although we may not be able
> to finish in any reasonable time), whereas in the latter case, we have
> no idea what is wrong with the system.

Did you look at the bug load on launchpad? The discussion is not between
lot of bugs or none there, there already a high volume and better
quality benefit to anybody, submitter and triagers

Sebastien Bacher