DebuggingProcedures and HelpingWithBugs - spreading the meme

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 3 21:00:43 GMT 2007

Hi all,

The bugsquad and debugging wiki page is in pretty good shape now and we
should circulate it more widely.

I see several bug reports where 4-5 people with seemingly good Linux
knowledge have been discussing a problem amongst themselves but the
debugging information needed by developers has not been asked for.

Bug triagers use the debbung pages and stock reply pages to ask for the
info and sometimes link to a debugging page like
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Debugging but users may not know where to look
next time from that. I would imagine that those who see that link might
remember to check it next time they have a similar problem, but might
not know about https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Bug say.

We should try to tie these pages better together so that people are more
likely to find this info themselves (ie. if one of the five people
participating in the discussion knows about these pages,
the info can be requested and the bug is triaged one step further). We
should add a prominent link to DebuggingProcedures on each of these
pages, perhaps in a display box with an icon, with text like: "Part of
the debugging series. For detailed information on debugging a range of
Ubuntu packages see DebuggingProcedures."

We could also ask that bugsquad and bug-control members add this link to
select replies (though perhaps not all):

---
Ubuntu bug squad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs