bughelper improvements

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 14 13:26:19 GMT 2006

Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just pushed my changes to
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dholbach/bughelper/bughelper.dev - Henrik
> if you like them, please merge them back into
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bugsquad/bughelper/bughelper.main

Will do. Perhaps you can advice. On
 bzr merge http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dholbach/bughelper/bughelper.dev

I get
bzr: ERROR: Branches have no common ancestor, and no merge base revision
was specified.

> 'ChangeLog':
>       * bugHelper.py now takes <source package> as an argument and
>       * makes use of bugNumbers.py to get a list of appropriate bug
>         numbers.

Yes, that is a cleaner approach, though it does to an extent remove some
of the interactive use options, using the browser and script together.
For example: I might do an 'advanced' Malone search for bugs with the
word 'crash' that are unconfirmed. I might then skip to the last page,
grab the URL manually and run that through bugNumbers/bugHelper. Perhaps
bughelper could just take an LP URL as an alternative argument instead
of the package name. Then you could use your page of assigned bugs, most
recent bugs, etc. No need to re-implement the sorting and searching
features currently in launchpad in this script.

Also, in the case of completely package-free untriaged bugs you might
want to run it by an .info file with lots of trigger words to give
package hints, like 'screen', resolution' and 'flicker' to indicate an
xorg problem. This could of course be a virtual package
package-unknown.info.

> Things, I'd like us to add:
>
>       * command line interface adding options like '-u' (for unconfirmed
>         bugs only) to narrow down searches. Searches bigger than 75
>         won't be listed anyway.

Looks useful, but you can also use LP URLs directly to get whatever
combination of bugs you want.

>       * change the .info file format to be the following:
>       * <bug number of the (possible) dup>: <identifying string>
>       * <arbitrary string>: <identidying string>
>       * The intention is to get output like "Bug 56472 is a possible
>         duplicate of 43673, string found was: 'libaccessibility.so'" or
>         something like: "Bug 37451 contains 'xinerama', you might want
>         to talk with the X SWAT about it.", etc.

Great! We might also want to include exclusion strings. So if a bug
contains the text 'stepPartAdvanced' then it is known *not* to be a dupe
of 48355 (see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingUbiquity)

Henrik