package-based bug weeks -- proposal

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 10 10:54:45 GMT 2006

Paul Dufresne wrote:
> I find this is a wonderful idea!
>
> Having had an interest in Ubiquity (and I saw that you are quite
> active there too lately on that package), I have realized how important
> it is to get some expertise on a package before being able to correctly
> triage it.

Right, it was from my recent work on ubiquity that I got this idea.
Colin has already written a useful wiki page on debugging it here:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingUbiquity but I still find myself
spending a fair it of time reading the logs to figure out how it works.

I'm sure the situation is similar with other complex packages like
Evolution, Nautilus, Xorg, Kernel, etc.

It will take me another 2-3 days to get the hang of ubiquity triaging I
think. I'm making notes as I go. Having team of 5-6 people doing that
together would be a great help!

> At first, I thought that a mailing list should be added just for
> that activity, because IRC is not very good for long time process
> (one week). But adding pages on Wiki seems acceptable too.
> Maybe both ideas would have to be combined.

I'm thinking up to 3 wiki pages for each bug week would be useful:

* The triaging and debugging guide that gets prepared during the
previous week and improved as we go

* A page with information for _bug-submitters_ helping them submit
better bugs, explaining how to find and upload logs, with screenshots,
etc. As we work with a certain package we will get a better idea of what
would be a good bug report for it and we can help the users in getting
it right

* A common team scratch page for the week where we dump questions and
ideas. IRC does this to an extent but with the wiki it doesn't have to
be coordinated as tightly in time. I could post a list of bugs that I
have triaged but was not quite sure about, asking other to have a look.
It could contain key stats for each day of the week so we can check our
progress, etc.

Henrik