[Bug 274950] Re: Look into switching to bluez 4.x
superm1 at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 28 06:43:26 BST 2008
** Description changed:
- Binary package hint: bluez-utils
+ BlueZ 4.x resolves two regressions that are seen in the 3.x stack on
- As discussed in IRC on #ubuntu-motu, BlueZ 4.x resolves regressions that are seen in the 3.x stack on Intrepid.
- * Particularly, keyboards aren't able to pair in the UI.
- - The combination of bluez-utils 3.36 and the btusb kernel module seems to be causing problems when pairing bluetooth keyboards.
- * Broken services tab (completely gone in 4.x)
- - This is fixed in bluez-gnome 0.28 or anything later. However you need to switch to a package in the 4.x series when using the bluez 4.x stack.
+ Regressions solved
+ * Keyboards aren't able to pair in the UI.
+ - The combination of bluez-utils 3.36 and the btusb kernel module seems to be causing problems when pairing bluetooth keyboards. Reverting to an earlier release of bluez-utils is not a good solution as a lot of bugs were fixed by coming up to 3.36.
- Additionally, the bluez stack's usability is improved in the 4.x version.
- * Usability - there is a pairing wizard with 4.x which is ages beyond what was in 3.x
+ * Broken services tab
+ - In the 3.x stack, the services tab is unfortunately the only way to activate new devices.
+ - This is fixed in bluez-gnome 0.28 or anything later. However you need to switch to a package in the 1.x series when using the Bluez 4.x stack.
+ Newer features
+ The 4.x version brings an additional UI element, a pairing wizard. This may cause problems for documentation teams, but considering the previous UI was not intuitive, there likely hasn't been a lot of documentation on it.
- Test packages will be provided in a PPA.
+ The entire stack that needs to be changed for this bug is available on the Bluetooth team testing PPA at http://launchpad.net/~bluetooth/+archive .
+ * Builds are all verified functional for i386, amd64, lpia
+ * These builds have all been test installed by adding the PPA to an up to date Intrepid and doing a dist-upgrade.
+ * Functionality has been verified for keyboards, mice, OBEX browsing, OBEX sending, and DUN via rfcomm.
Look into switching to bluez 4.x
You received this bug notification because you are a member of
Bluetooth, which is subscribed to bluez-utils in ubuntu.
More information about the Ubuntu-bluetooth