[Ubuntu-be] usb sticks met ubuntu preloaded --- the essential message

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Sun May 29 00:12:49 UTC 2011

Etienne Saliez schreef op do 19-05-2011 om 11:02 [+0200]:
> ( 2 ) HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES:
> ------------------------------------
> As it is today, buying equipment is a lottery !
> I have several incompatible equipments in my garage and not enough time
> nor experience to try to seek exotic drivers.
> All vendors I could ask, do not want to say anything about Ubuntu and do
> not even accept a test with an Ubuntu stick.
>
> I see a critical need for shops where the proposed hardware have been
> tested about Ubuntu compatibility.
> This at normal market price, the added value being here to avoid the
> risk to have to throw away unusable equipments.

If I understood correctly, some time "soon" it will be possible for
hardware to get an "Ubuntu Friendly" logo without the manufacturer
having to pay for it (testing & certification might be done by the
community--including local shops, locoteam members, etc.).

> ( 3.B ) Commercial services support:
> Management of equipment distribution and paid support services.

There already are several companies providing this, although maybe it
would be nice if some of them would cooperate with us better.

And maybe we should cooperate with them better too--we're open to all
suggestions in that respect...

--
Jan Claeys