[Ubuntu-be] usb sticks met ubuntu preloaded

martijn cielen mcielen at gmail.com
Thu May 19 07:13:21 UTC 2011

We could offer them for a symbolic price (eg € 2), this will imho
prevent people from just grabbing one and putting it in a drawer never
to come out again, as they paid for it. On the other hand they don't
have the feeling it has cost them an arm and a leg.

On a side note: when becoming a vzw, can't we talk to Canonical to let
Ubuntu-be offer an Ubuntu store on European main continent? If we
distribute resources and stock, this should be feasible without huge
investments. Just an idea.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Steven Leeman <steven at leeman.be> wrote:
> I wouldn't offer them for free imho?
> unless you can find such a sponsor?
> Flemish gouvernment with an "edubuntu" release? :-)
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 6:32 PM, martijn cielen <mcielen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The problem of offering the sticks for free could be solved by asking
>> sponsorship from a non-profit or an open source minded company
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> On 18-mei-2011, at 17:57, Jan Bongaerts <jbongaerts at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some more advantages:
>>  It is also timeless for us a supplier. You load them with the newest
>> version. No risk of stock becoming obsolete, except if the capacity becomes
>> outdated. Which is why I'd opt for the 4Gb version.
>>
>> It is easier to load a usb stick than to burn a CD. I think it might be
>> quicker too.
>>
>> Main disadvantage: We would not be able to offer them for free, unlike the
>> CD. We would have to charge money.
>>
>> A vzw would indeed be a good idea, but if it is decided to move ahead
>> before the vzw is established, I might be able to help.
>> If a company is needed to operate this venture, I am willing to offer the
>> usage of my bvba.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jan.
>>
>> On 18 May 2011 17:36, wouter Vandenneucker <woutervddn at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Steven
>>> Personally I like the idea. I mentioned it once to warddr IIRC. But I
>>> think it is something that might require us to be a VZW.
>>> Nevertheless, I'd like to discuss it. Therefor I propose you put the idea
>>> on: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/PromotionMaterial/ProposalsGoodies2011
>>> I'll also add it as a point to discuss on the next IRC meeting
>>> (26/05/2011). Feel free to discus it there as well.
>>> I think that a USB-stick has multiple upsides. A quick list of those I
>>> can think of right now (together with the benefits steven described):
>>> - More durable than a CD
>>> - More valuable (less chance they just install it and than ditch it)
>>> - Can be updated
>>> - You'll be able to use it as a normal USB stick afterwards (if you like)
>>> - People who use it as a personal data stick are generally advertising
>>> for us. (Free Publicity)
>>> - Also works for Netbook owners
>>> - Really awesome goodie.
>>> - Gives an extra chance to promote our Localized version of Ubuntu (once
>>> we finally create it..)
>>> grts
>>>
>>> Wouter
>>> PS: For those who don't speak dutch, I translated Stevens mail below.
>>> On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:08:34 +0200 steven at leeman.be wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Last month I got this question via the supportpoint network asking me if
>>> I could deliver "ubuntu" on a USB stick and send it to France.
>>> No problem... in 123 the last version of ubuntu in "Dutch" sent on a 1GB
>>> stick in an envelope straight to Cote D'Azur to a Belgian citizen who
> [...]

(o_     martijn cielen
//\
V_/_    adminestering the world one system at a time