[Ubuntu-be] usb sticks met ubuntu preloaded

Jan Bongaerts jbongaerts at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:56:09 UTC 2011

Some more advantages:
 It is also timeless for us a supplier. You load them with the newest
version. No risk of stock becoming obsolete, except if the capacity becomes
outdated. Which is why I'd opt for the 4Gb version.

It is easier to load a usb stick than to burn a CD. I think it might be
quicker too.

Main disadvantage: We would not be able to offer them for free, unlike the
CD. We would have to charge money.

A vzw would indeed be a good idea, but if it is decided to move ahead before
the vzw is established, I might be able to help.
If a company is needed to operate this venture, I am willing to offer the
usage of my bvba.

Cheers,
Jan.

On 18 May 2011 17:36, wouter Vandenneucker <woutervddn at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hey Steven
>
> Personally I like the idea. I mentioned it once to warddr IIRC. But I think
> it is something that might require us to be a VZW.
> Nevertheless, I'd like to discuss it. Therefor I propose you put the idea
> on:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/PromotionMaterial/ProposalsGoodies2011
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/PromotionMaterial/ProposalsGoodies2011>I'll
> also add it as a point to discuss on the next IRC meeting (26/05/2011). Feel
> free to discus it there as well.
>
> I think that a USB-stick has multiple upsides. A quick list of those I can
> think of right now (together with the benefits steven described):
> - More durable than a CD
> - More valuable (less chance they just install it and than ditch it)
> - Can be updated
> - You'll be able to use it as a normal USB stick afterwards (if you like)
> - People who use it as a personal data stick are generally advertising for
> us. (Free Publicity)
> - Also works for Netbook owners
> - Really awesome goodie.
> - Gives an extra chance to promote our Localized version of Ubuntu (once we
> finally create it..)
>
> grts
>

> Wouter
>
> PS: For those who don't speak dutch, I translated Stevens mail below.
>
> ------------------------------
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:08:34 +0200 steven at leeman.be wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Last month I got this question via the supportpoint network asking me if I
> could deliver "ubuntu" on a USB stick and send it to France.
> No problem... in 123 the last version of ubuntu in "Dutch" sent on a 1GB
> stick in an envelope straight to Cote D'Azur to a Belgian citizen who
> overwintered... I already received some beautiful printscreens... Gained
> another Ubuntero.
>
> I've watched out for "preloaded" ubuntu sticks...
> I believe that "Ubuntu-fr" had some on Fosdem...
>
> Via the Canonical shop they cost more than 28 euros for a 4GB stick...
>
> http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=874
> 4gbyte usb stick
> 20,36 euro + 7,51 euro transport
>
> I've contacted the first USB supplier I could find and he gave me following
> prices:
>
> model "Usb Incentive" :
> http://www.usbstick-producent.nl/nl/usbstick/information/132/usb-stick-incentive-zilver.html
> 4 GB 2.0 -> Like Canonical sells them
> Price/piece: €7,66
> Logo Print: €0,10
> Transport (China): €20,-
> Total for 100 pieces: €796,- (excl. BTW)
>
> 1 GB 2.0  -> Minimum size for an Ubuntu Live CD...Has 300MB spare for
> extra's (NL Language for instance.. or some extra programs?)
> Price/piece €5,26
> Logo Print: €0,10
> Transport (China): €20,-
> Total for 100 pieces: €526,- (excl. BTW)

> [...]

Microsoft programs are like Englishmen. They only speak Microsoft.