[Ubuntu-be] Wiki update of the 9th of march.

wouter Vandenneucker woutervddn at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:45:09 UTC 2011

Hi guys

I've made a report of what we did yesterday. I kinda forgot to post a reminder so I guess it's my fault that there was so little people to help out.
Anyways, we've done quite a lot yesterday and I'd like to thank jean and jurgen for their efforts! I'll add this report on the wiki as well.

We continued the work done the last time. We started from the top op the homepage and digging deeper and deeper in the wiki. This enables us to do see which pages are "lost" or without a link. They will not show up on the homepage nor on the Legacy page.

= What we've done =
• Updated the homepage
• Finished BelgianTeam/FacebookTeam
• Removed the Pictures page as it only had 1 photo of Feisty Fawn. We did note that the pictures can be found on the page of the even itself. We also strongly recomment the use of the flickrpool. Make sure to upload all pictures regarding ubuntu-be with the ubuntube tag.
• A little guidance text was written for the BelgianTeam/Approval
• We made clear that the ML is not a help or press desk, but a page dedicated to support can be found on the website (link added aswel)
• For people comming on the BelgianTeam/PastMeetings true a searchcomputer it was unclear where to find the new meetings. We added a link to BelgianTeam/IrcMeetings
• We added a bunch of links to the german LoCo team (and ubuntuusers.de as they seem to be connected so much)
• We made the support-point-manual on the website available on the wiki homepage. This link comes instead of the initial support-point-manual on the wiki. That page is added to the legacy section now

= Remarks =
• There needs to be more active communitaction and decision making, things go darn slow sometimes and this also results in the effectiveness of both the wiki as the website
• We need to update the BelgianTeam/Responsibility but we have tell first how we are going to be organized in the future
• BelgianTeam/Skills is something that should be added to your profile on Ubuntu-be and not on the wiki. This ain't the place people are going to look for it. If it are the other members who can search for certain skills here the page should be maintained and updated. (IE take out who's not longer active etc.)
• BelgianTeam/TeamOrganization is a sandbox for what U-be should become. Once we agreed on this the content of it should be converted to fit the BelgianTeam/Responsibility page.
• Please do not use placeholders, if a page needs to be created in the future please do it then! Empty pages clutter our wiki!
• We need a team that bundles and works out a path to use ALL our social networks in a decent way. a simultane notice on identi.ca, twitter, Orkut and Facebook will strenghten us as we can target more people in 1 move. There should be a way to add all 4 of them on a structurized way to the webpage
• We've got a guide for the addition of links on the website. does it belong under the contact section? How can we attract more companies to join that page? (in addition how can we work more closely with companies without giving up our freedom?)
• The BelgianTeam/PressCoverage should be updated, latest entry is of 2009/10/30. We either need some one (or a group of people) who update this page, or we need to close it and make it a legacy page. Remaining this page as an open/running page with no new entries makes it look like we haven't got a single thing done the last year and a half.
• The belgianTeam/PressReleases is a great page but with only 1 pressrelease in it there seems to be a problem, again: pointing someone responsible for this would resolve this.. PressContacts?
• Also, can someone please tell me why the title tags "= some title =" don't work on this page?
• As for the Education page it also depents on someone who maintains it. Without any current activities scheduled it is unclear what the use of this page is. Clarification needed.
• Once again, same thing for the BelgianTeam/LocalizedCD. I believe we suggested in january to wait until after Fosdem to continue talking about this.
• Big kudos to Jean as all the pages that he looks after are a good example of how to keep a wiki up to date. I do agree that it costs jean tons and tons of work to keep it structurized and updated. Nevertheless I think that if we give a bunch of people some kind of authority over 1 or 2 sections it would dramatically improve the wiki.
• Events other then the dipro fairs need a fix plot. Just as DigitalWeek, Software Freedom Day and Fosdem it is suggested to add events who happen anually on this plot: BelgianTeam/NameOfEvent/Year
• We've got a double in the promotion material! To get more structure jurgen and I moved the promotion section from BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs to BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Promotion. A little later we discovered a BelgianTeam/PromotionMaterial. It is suggest to merge these together, but we where uncertain which page we should keep in place, ideas?
• The BelgianTeam/OSLessLaptopShops is a page that should be maintained, jurgen and I are checking those who haven't been checked since 2006 to see if they are still available. It is to our believe though that we should try to have a tool like the supportermap where we can map these companies on our website. If we could merge this with the commercial_links on the website it would be nice. (This can wait until the supporter map is finished at we can try to make this map a spinoff of the supporter map)
• We made the support-point-manual on the website available on the wiki homepage. This link comes instead of the initial support-point-manual on the wiki. That page is added to the legacy section now
• We should try to define the use of the website and the wiki beter. A decent integration would benefit us. As jurgen said it: "The wiki sould be more about a 'knowledge base' and not a 'who are we'? that should be the ubuntu-be.org site. Although I understand that it is hard to find a way that our website can be edited by everyone without putting the whole infrastructure at risk. But a debat about this can be handy.
• What do e do with the FutureEvents page? Do we ditch it or what? Jean allready added the note that people need to put links on the website, not on this page.

= Still to do (before the possible restructure of U-be) =
• add the links do the legacy pages
• map the "lost" pages
• add a link of the lates PCmagazine article about Ubuntu to BelgianTeam/PressCoverage
• Translate the commercial links on the website to FR and GE (bug has to be made)
• Place a link to the ubuntu-de wiki. right links can be found at http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-de-locoteam

= Off topic =
New shirts are ordered!

I suggest to talk about these things on some of the upcomming IRC meetings. Maybe we can add 1 topic each meeting or postpone some not-time-critical topics for a week? (Although I believe it's most important to talk about the structure change first)

kind regards

Wouter Vandenneucker