[Ubuntu-be] installation problem with VirtualBox 4.0

Christophe Strobbe christophe.strobbe at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Jan 24 15:20:34 UTC 2011

At 15:22 24/01/2011, Bram Gadeyne wrote:
>Dear Christophe,
>
>I have also noticed that VirtualBox has problems with Ubuntu 10.10.
>Or Ubuntu 10.10 has problems with VirtualBox ;-).
>
>I would suggest you try installing it using wubi. It will look as if
>you have installed Ubuntu in dual boot but in fact you can remove
>Ubuntu from windows like you would uninstal every other program.
>
>Surfing the net I also found one solution that might work.
>VirtualBox has some guest tools that you can install. Maybe you can
>boot VirtualBox in live CD mode and install these guest tools in
>there. Then You can try and install Ubuntu afterwards.

Thank you Bram and (off-list) Wouter,

I was finally able to get through the installation process: after
suspending the process I did not remove Ubuntu from VirtualBox (which
was what I did the first 3/4 times) but simply restarted it from
inside VirtualBox. This time I made sure that my network cable was
already plugged in before starting Ubuntu (otherwise the installer
did not seem to detect the network connection) and that I used the
mouse instead of the arrow keys to select the keyboard. The
installation completed in a normal fashion.
(After shutting down and restarting Ubuntu, the system displayed the
Try/Install Ubuntu screen again and I had no access to my user
account. This was confusing but it appears that I should raise this
issue on another mailng list.)

Best regards,

Christophe