[Ubuntu-be] installation problem with VirtualBox 4.0

Christophe Strobbe christophe.strobbe at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Jan 24 13:53:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

I tried installing Ubuntu 10.10 in VirtualBox 4.0 on Windows XP SP3,
but the installation stalls each time at the keyboard layout screen.
I use English versions or UI for all my software, but the machine I
want to install this on is a Dell Precision laptop with a Belgian
keyboard. The "Figure out keboard layout" function suggests "France"
in the left-hand side of the screen, but without updating the list of
keyboards in the right-hand side (where I get "Turkmenistan" and
"Turkmenistan Alt-Q"). The Back and Forward buttons turn grey and the
spinner just keeps spinning as if something ended up in an endless
loop. The only option I can see is to suspend the process and try
again, but I have done this several times by now...

(I used the following options in VirtualBox:
Base Memory: 768 MB
Fixed-size storage: 8 GB
I then pointed VirtualBox to the Ubuntu 10.10 ISO image on my hard
disk (I though that should work).)

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution? Searching the Web did
not give me any clues.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe