[Ubuntu-be] Ghent event box + upcoming Ubuntu 11.04

wouter Vandenneucker woutervddn at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 22:18:05 UTC 2011

I've got an old acer travelmate 4100 which used to run jolicloud until it stopped working after an update (filed a bug but over 2 months later still no succes).
Anyways, There is a 2D version of unity out there; You can get that the 2D version (which is based on QT if I remember correctly) by follow the guide at:

http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-unity-2d-qt-in-ubuntu-10-10-and-11-04

I know the 2D version is still a little buggy and needs a lot of developing work, but I'm sure that they'll continue working on it.
Apart from that I think we should still show the normal gnome desktop as it will also come installed on the new 11.04 installation (at least it should).
When they first announced that 11.04 was going to use unity there were some complaints about that, so I had someone from the ubuntu-artwork team telling me they'll still keep gnome on the system.

Other question I have: Will gnome 3 be running without 3D acceleration?

grts

Wouter