[Ubuntu-be] Remember - IRC meeting tomorrow Thursday 28/10/2010 at 21.00 hr.

Jan Bongaerts jbongaerts at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 10:14:55 BST 2010

Unfortunately I won't be there again.

I'm still compiling some introsession for a school, and could use some ideas
on what to show
1) using the live CD
2) using a normally installed system.

I would like to know the following background info, to answer some probable
questions..

a) Why does Linux need so little memory to run (min 384MB if I'm not
mistaken), compared to Windows (min 1GB I think)?

b) Why isn't it necessary to 'defragment' a Linux hard disk, like one needs
to do in Windows?

c)Confirm that software packages in Linux are much lighter because of the
multi-package structure. If not, please give reason.

d)Confirm that the most important safety feature in Linux is due to the fact
that you always need a password to become root, and that the second most
important reason is that there is little standardisation, so difficult to
write malware that works on all flavours of the target software.

e) Confirm that apps usually run faster in Linux than in Windows, because of
the different memory management.

Those are just some of the things I can think of now.
I'd love to hear feedback from the experts here.

Regards,
Jan.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 9:27 PM, jean7491-Events-Team <jean7491 at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi to all,
>
> Remember - next IRC meeting  tomorrow Thursday 28/10/2010 at 21.00 hr.
> on #ubuntu-be -- IRC (http://webchat.freenode.net/).
>
> See agenda in wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/IrcMeetings
>
> --
> jean7491
> Ubuntu Belgium Events Team

Microsoft programs are like Englishmen. They only speak Microsoft.