[Ubuntu-be] IRC meeting 10/03/2010 – Report

Jean7491 Jean7491 at free.fr
Fri Mar 12 19:51:21 GMT 2010

IRC meeting 10/03/2010 – Report
Present at the meeting (in random order) : ramtar, warddr,, siegie ,
JanC, pvandewijngaerde, nero_, jean7491, pep, mongolito404

1. Past and future events
a. Dipro Charleroi (07/03)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Charleroi_2010-03-07
Pictures: see
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didiermisson/sets/72157623468630511/
ramtar : we were with 7 people, including 3 LUG's (Sambrelug, CULButte
and C.L.I.C.).
In the morning we had a lot of people very interest by Ubuntu. During
the fair, we discuss about future events, a better communication with
the LUG's and better public relations (PR) actions (with the LUG's). A
lot of small events, like release parties 10.04 or other kind of events
all around Wallonie, are preferred rather than a big event.
For the moment it's important to focus on public relations, like press
releases, to promote Ubuntu. Example: “Discover Ubuntu in your city”
with link to a list of events organized by the LUG's. Communication via
free press is a good idea, these medias are always in search for a well
written article.
First problem is communication with the LUG'ss about projected events
and coordination : ramtar could lead these contacts..
Second problem is public relations : Ubuntu-be should constitute a
public-relations team with people who knows what is PR and can propose
PR actions. Everyone who thinks he can help is invited to react through
the mailing list (and the next IRC meeting).

b. The Digital Week 06-12/03 (Ostend, Bree, Schoten)
- The digital week is a nice opportunity for contacts about more
presentations in 2011.
- Ubuntu-be will be present in Bree on 07/03 for presentation, thanks
Jan V.B. http://cultuurbree.be/digitale-week-2010-bree, but with a
limited response from the public.
- As already announced, Ubuntu-be will be present on 11/03 in Ostend
(bibliotheek Kris Lambert) for 2 sessions (presentation and
demonstration) at 12-13 hr and 19-20 hr.
See http://zandletters.be/spip.php?article150 and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/DigitalWeek-Ostend_2010-03-11
- No information about the digital week in Schoten
(http://digitaleweek.schoten.be/).

c. Dipro Mechelen (14/03)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Mechelen_2010-03-14
The team is OK. nero_ will coordinate the booth : he will send
information, including rendez-vous to all the participants.
3 white boards (for posters) could be moved from Mechelen to Oostmalle
(for Dipro fair) or to Antwerp Event box (bram).

d. Dipro Oostmalle (21/03)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Oostmalle_2010-03-21
Two volunteers (siegie and rulus) are already in the wiki, siegie will
coordinate the event.
We need at least 2 additional volunteers !

e. Dipro Genk (28/03)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Genk_2010-03-28
Already 2 volunteers in the wiki, Claudio will coordinate the booth. We
need at least 2 additional volunteers.

f. Release parties Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS.
Already announced:
- 03/05 meeting HCC regio Vlaanderen in Mechelen
- 16/05 Ubuntu Meeting (release party) by the Bitmappers-Hasselt -
Cultuurcentrum of Genk
- ?/05 Dewereldmorgen.be (vroeger Indymedia) in Brussels (?) - no
further information.
Questions :
- Is there a possibility (and a will) to organize a release party for
Lucid Lynx in the area of Ghent ?
- Is it possible to add something Release Party-lookalike to the booth
at the Antwerp Dipro fair on 9/5 ? perhaps in collaboration with the
Computer club C&T ?
- ramtar will investigate on the projected release parties of the LUG's.

g. Other events
- Global Jam here in Liège : pep is planning gathering people together
for this event. More details later.
- 18/09 Software Freedom Day - http://softwarefreedomday.org/

2. Promotion material
No new information about localized CD's : we are looking for volunteers
to lead this project and to investigate the possibilities, including
prices-offers .

3. Support points map status
No input from mongolito404 who just left the meeting before this point.
Don't forget to have a look at the project on-line for all to see and
test : http://ubuntu.gwickt.com/drupal6/ (for test and bug report purpose).

4. Things living in the mailing list
a. New ways/events to promote Ubuntu. As already mentioned earlier, we
should find new ways/events to promote Ubuntu, like open-doors organized
by schools, hobby fairs locally organized by associations/cities, open
ICT day ...
ramtar suggests an open LAN party but will start with a small open LAN
party as test.
b. No other point

5. Next meeting on 17/03/2010 at 21 h.

--