[Ubuntu-be] About bying a new laptop

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Wed Jun 16 03:44:21 BST 2010

Op dinsdag 15-06-2010 om 10:00 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Rob Van
Dyck:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Pierre Buyle
> <mongolito404+ubuntu-be at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Finding a laptop with no Windows licence is hard. Some vendors are
> > nicer than others when it comes to refunding.
>
> I bought mine (with Ubuntu pre-installed!) yesterday from dell.be.
> Problem is they only have 10 and 13 inch models AND you have to order
> them by phone. So no Windows tax, but also no discount (I don't really
> mind that, I'm more then happy to pay for a notebook that's being
> certified to work under Linux. It costs Dell time and money as well).

Dell pays for (some of) their machines to be Ubuntu Certified, plus
fixed costs (including the developers Dell employs to work on Ubuntu)
have to be spread over less machines, so I don't care about paying a
little more or less either.

OTOH, if they want to sell more machines with Ubuntu, they should make
it easier for people to buy machines with Ubuntu.  The hoops one has to
jump through currently are annoying enough to keep those machines
outside the hands of most potential buyers (especially outside the US).
Maybe they should set up a special worldwide Ubuntu site, so that at
least informed people can buy what looks ideal for them.

--
Jan Claeys