[Ubuntu-be] IRC meeting 03/02/2010 - report

Jan Bongaerts jbongaerts at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 09:46:53 GMT 2010

Sorry I'm sharing my opinion via this mail. I am never available on a
Wednesday night to participate to the meeting.

about topic 2 (the ubuntu CD):
a) the wiki talks about 919 Euro for 1000 CDs. Canonical sells their CDs for
far less (158 Euro for 200 CDs). I think they deserve our support.
b) If we decide to make a local CD, I would NOT outsource the work outside
to Morocco, China, or other countries. It beats the object of going local.
If a local option is not feasible, why not outsource it to Canonical? Has
anyone tried to ask them?

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Jan.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Jean7491 <Jean7491 at free.fr> wrote:

> IRC meeting 03/02/2010 – Report
> Present at the meeting (in random order) : mongolito404, mimor, nero_,
> wamukota, jean7491, JanC, ADcomp, mandel, selckin
>
> 1. Past and Future events
> a. Dipro Ghent 31/01- report
> Report and pictures are already in the wiki.
> In his report, kws had some ideas about the repetition of Dipro fairs
> especially in Ghent : 4 fairs in 1 year is perhaps too much. Firstly we
> can skip the Dipro Ghent on 18/04.
> We should find new ways/events to promote Ubuntu: Accenta-fair (thanks
> Digipolis Ghent) seemed to be a good example. All suggestions are
> welcome ! Participation to the Digital Week through local initiative ?
> For more events, we should find a way to put the emphases on
> collaboration with existing groups. HCC invited us on their booth at
> Antwerp Dipro (20-21/02). Maybe we should seek for more collaboration
> like this (with LUG's or other computer clubs).
> About cost of the booth and CD's, we need a cheaper solution for
> (Ubuntu) CD's.
>
> b. Dipro Kortrijk 07/02
> The team is at minimum level with 3 volunteers (yanu, wamukota and
> jean7491)
> We still need additional volunteers, but it seems hopeless!
> No problem of preparation, just a few coordination.
>
> c. Fosdem 2010 06-07/02
> T-shirts, stickers, mouse mats, mugs, lanyards & keychains and ad-hoc
> flyers are available.
> Hardware : JanC - EEE 900 + Tux Droid, mongolito404 – idem + laptop? +
> Tux Droid, Adcomp - Acer Aspire one + dev board (arm processor) +
> touchscreen 4.3”
>
> d. Antwerp, Hobby & computerdagen (20-21/02) In cooperation with HCC
> regio Vlaanderen.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Antwerp_2010-02-20_21
> nero_ (coordinator) will be present both days.
> We still need additional volunteers (2 each day) : wiki is updated with
> (JanC and Ward) (Jan B.?)
>
> e. Dipro Brugge 28/02
> See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Brugge_2010-02-28
> The preparation will start in the next days.
>
> 2. Promotion
> a. Material - Proposal to burn CD's for Ubuntu-be
> See last week report (in the wiki).
> Who will be in charge of this project ? Adcomp can help for creating
> ISO, if needed. The main thing to decide currently is how to finance it
> (both burning & pressing) : sponsoring is one way (we are sure about
> this income), making people to pay for is another (we hope to succeed!).
> Other possibility : no CD, but usbkey : better but more expensive !
> We need more information about past experience with sponsors and
> covering the cost for 8.04LTS CD's in 2008. Of course, we would have to
> look for other sponsors.
> Perhaps there is a possibility for CD4s from Marocco : again we need
> more information (and guarantee).
>
> b. mimor suggests better contacts with bloggers-Ubunteros in Belgium :
> [...]

Microsoft programs are like Englishmen. They only speak Microsoft.