[Ubuntu-be] Accenta 2009 - Report

jean7491 jean7491 at free.fr
Thu Sep 24 09:00:46 BST 2009

Hi to all,

The following report, with pictures, has been added to the wiki :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/Accenta_2009

_Report_
Thanks to Digipolis Ghent (http://www.digipolis.be/), Ubuntu-be was
present at the yearly fair Accenta 2009 on 19 and 20/09/2009 in Ghent -
Flanders Expo.

This commercial fair and its public was very different from our usual
Dipro environment.

Nevertheless, and despite an unfavourable location, the team succeeded
to present a very positive image of Ubuntu. The afflux of visitors was
regular and our volunteers nearly permanently busy with explanations and
demonstrations. Most of people did not know about the existence of Ubuntu.

For several reasons, the Ubuntu personal was at a minimum level (4(-) on
Saturday and 3 on Sunday).

The space, furniture and material including 1 beamer, 1 screen and 4
laptops (running on live-cd's), and decoration, all from Digipolis at
our disposal, was excellent.

The new flyers were attractive and easily distributed. Approximately 100
CD's were delivered.

A short presentation in 5 slides (screenshots) "how to use a live-CD"
has been used as support for basic explanation. We still need a
presentation (not a video) with simple screenshots of the steps "how to
install Ubuntu in dual-boot on a generic PC". Existing videos are good
for home use, but not adequate for fair public (too long and detailed).

Our home-made promotion material (banner, support for the posters, ...)
is well adapted for Dipro fairs, but when used in more important events,
like Accenta, it seems ridiculous compared with the surrounding booths
and their decoration. The cost of the booth presentation is naturally
different.

For this kind of particular events, we should have at disposal some
professional decoration material, like deployable (roll-up or pop-up?)
posters and logos. Perhaps is this kind of material available by
Canonical, or we could ask tips from appropriate people and sponsors for
help?

Finances: 11,25 euro of public donations, transferred to Ubuntu-be
bank-account.

_Summary_

It was a very successful event for Ubuntu promotion in a more commercial
environment.

Our booth brought once again the image of Ubuntu in the daily life in
Ghent area.

--

Jean
/Ubuntu Belgium Events Team/