[Ubuntu-be] Dipro Antwerpen on 13/09/2009 - booth report

Steven Leeman steven at leeman.be
Tue Sep 15 20:51:27 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Jurgen Gaeremyn <jurgen.gaeremyn at pandora.be
> wrote:

> Jan Claeys schreef:
> > Op maandag 14-09-2009 om 17:21 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef jean7491:
> >
> >> There was no WiFi, nor internet connection.
> >>

> > *ugh* that sucks, for such a "high-end" location.  :-(
> >
> As Ubuntu (and linux in general) is very online-oriented (support,
> repo's, etc), maybe it might be taken in consideration to get a Mobile
> internet account, or finding someone who already has this kind of access?
> I'm paying Mobistar €5 per month and then €1 for every day I actually
> use it - in Belgium obviously, and limited to 1 Gig/month. I really love
> this "on the road" solution for if I don't have wifi access.
>
> I don't know (but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people in here
> who do) if it would be possible to use one computer as "gateway" to the
> internet and have all the others proxy through that computer.
> In the other case, we would have one online computer to try out all the
> online-relevant stuff and look up information if requested...

i use a Mobile Viking sim card with a huwaei E220 usb stick and a Fonera
2.0g which will create a wired & wireless gateway (cheaper than a Mifi)
I also used Mobistar which does offer 3G in most cities but I recently
canceled it in favor of Mobile Viking... (beware mobistar is a 1 year
minimal subscription!)
You don't have to pay 1 euro/day with mobile viking to keep your mobile
phone online 24/24h 7d/7d...and you don't have to spend 15euro/month if you
hardly call ;)

just don't try to download a whole distribution over the air :-)
but it's fast enough to look things up; answer your emails...

people with telenet turboline can have free access to Telenet hotspots;
people with Belgacom Go subscriptions can have several hours a month of free
access to Belgacom hotspots