[Ubuntu-be] IRC meeting report 07/10/2009

jean7491 jean7491 at free.fr
Thu Oct 8 16:15:03 BST 2009

IRC meeting report
Present at the IRC meeting 07/10/2009 (in random order) : yanu, JanC,
jean7491, schwarz_p, hfsdo, siegie, pvandewyngaerde, Gh0sty, ,BlackDes1gn

1. Past and future events
 a. Dipro Kortrijk 04/10 -- report
The fair wasn't that big, but a lot of people showed interest in our
booth, report and pictures will be posted in the wiki.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Kortrijk_2009-10-04

 b. Next events in October (Dipro Charleroi, Ostend, Oostmalle)
- Dipro Charleroi 11/10 - in charge Cedric - so far we know today, the
preparation is going well.

- Dipro Ostend 18/10 - in charge jean7491
Already 2 volunteers (thanks Jan), we still need 2 additional
volunteers. A call will be sent to the support points around Ostend.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Ostende_2009-10-18

- Dipro Oostmalle 25/10
The preparation is started. A call for help was posted in the mailing
list and through personal messages, with 1 positive answer: We still
need 3 additional volunteers.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Oostmalle_2009-10-25
A call is posted by siegie in the Ubuntu-nl forum for help, not only for
Dipro Oostmalle , but also for other Dipro fairs in Ostend (18/10),
 Ghent 08/11,  Antwerp (29/11), Genk, 06/12/2009 and Mechelen, 13/12/2009.

 c. Next events in November (Dipro Ghent, Release Party Ghent, Dipro
Antwerp)
- Dipro fair in Ghent 08/11
Volunteers, please add your name in the wiki, 2 names are already in.
We need a local coordinator from Ghent area.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Ghent_2009-11-08

- Release party in Ghent 21/11
We have to start now the preparation of the release party : we need
volunteers help for the organization/preparation of the party. mimor
will post a request for help in the Mailing List (not yet done!).
schwarz_p will help mimor for the organization of the party.
First question : what do we want? Meet and greet, presentations/speeches
by who? about what?, workshop with computers? Meet & greet is the
minimum, other things can be added: live dual-boot installation/demo,
presentations from Digipolis Ghent or from firms related to ubuntu, ...
A call for suggestion will be posted in the mailing list.

- Dipro fair Antwerp 29/11 - volunteers, please add your name in the
wiki! 2 names are already in and a local coordinator was found by
personal contact.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Antwerpen_2009-11-29

3, Promotion material
 a. Ubuntu-case-stickers "powered by ubuntu": see
http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9#belgium

 b. Event boxes
- Ghent: the statute of the Event box has to be clarified: who is in charge?
- Antwerp: with the multiplication of events in Antwerp area, a new
event box should be useful.
First question: who will be in charge?
Available in Ostend: 1 pc All-in-one, 1 desktop Pentium 4 (without
screen, need to be completed with 1 (LCD?) screen), promotion material
(posters and flyers).
We need additional basic material to set-up a booth. A call will posted
in the mailing list.

3. Things living in the Mailing List
Support points - reliability and update.
In July, Jurgen observed less than 50 % responses to help request.
during the last days, we saw several requests for support which did not
succeed: it gives a negative image of ubuntu community, we have to do
something to fix the problem or improve the system.
It is suggested to work on the form for new support points: add a
periodical review and a question about participation/help to other
ubuntu-be events/activities, and to send a mail to all support points
for "reactivation", adding my question about other events-help, as a way
to update of the database about support points.
JanC will talk to one of the developers who make the drupal modules we
use, maybe he knows if they are working on something like to replace the
current map software?

4. Next IRC meeting on 14/10/2009 at 21.00 h.

--
Jean
/Ubuntu Belgium Events Team/