[Ubuntu-be] Late introduction ...

Andy Airey airey.andy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:11:22 BST 2009

Hi,

As some of you may know I've been around on this mailing list for a while
(late 2007) ... Though I never found the time to actively communicate/help
out with you guys and thus never made an official introduction to the
mailing list. I did follow the mailinglist whenever I could.

So here goes ...

I'm 21 years old and I live near Mechelen. I study Applied Informatics
("Toegepaste Informatica") at the Leuven University College (KHLeuven -
former REGA)[2]. I used to be in the steering committee of several student
organisations up till now (so that's why I have more spare time). More info
about my interests on facebook[2] or linkedin[3].

Some history of my linux usage:

I first started with Ubuntu (6.10) in april 2007, just before Feisty (7.04),
they had some free CD's at school so I tried the live CD of Ubuntu 6.10 on
my home PC (Dell inspiron 2100 or so). I did not like the loading times so a
bit later I tried the 7.04 live CD on my home made PC. I quite liked it so I
went with a dual boot together with XP.

The first year I was mainly just customising (Beryl just came out :P - more
into minimal now ... ) and trying some basic commands we would also learn at
school (grep, cut, du, ...). But it was also fun getting flash to work on
AMD64 and my wireless card through ndiswrapper :P And you know, the basic
fiddling around and discovering new stuff.
I started to get the hang of it and decided to become a support point to
share this wonderful feeling of using free software which just works
terrificly. This is also the point where I joined the mailing list.

Later in february 2008, I got some new hardware (quadcore, 4GB ram, ...) and
was running 7.10. As time went on I only needed Windows for gaming and MS
Office (I sometimes program in VBA for some company).
I was waiting 'till april 2008 for the LTS release to make a complete switch
(well, leaving Windows on it for some games but I hardly boot in Windows,
only when I have some friends around to game with :P). Now I run MS Office
in virtualbox and have no need for Windows anymore as a workstation.

So now I'm still running 8.04 LTS, and Xubuntu 8.04 LTS on my laptop (which
I'm writing from right now). And of course I also converted some friends to
Ubuntu :)

So that's it, I'll try and share my opinion in the mailings and on
#ubuntu-be more often, and try and visit the events ubuntu-be will be
attending.
I'm more like setting my status from Passive -> Active then new to this
mailinglist, so no need to say welcome (maybe welcome back is more in it's
place).

If you read this, thanks for your time :P

Andy Airey

[1] http://www.leuvenuniversitycollege.be/
[2] http://www.facebook.com/andy.airey
[3] http://www.linkedin.com/in/andyairey