[Ubuntu-be] Ubuntu support points map - a little test

Tim Adam tim.adam at telenet.be
Wed Jul 22 23:52:19 BST 2009

>I think, extending the Launchpad to become a ticketing system would
>require the international community to help out (Launchpad is not yet
>Open Source - even if it becomes open source, )

By design Launchpad is a ticketing system with an emphasis on bug tracking.

http://blog.launchpad.net/podcast/launchpod-15-launchpads-going-open-source

>There are some great open source "support ticket" solutions out there.
>I'm thinking of osTicket (www.osticket.com) and OTRS (www.otrs.org) to
>name a few.

The way i see it, you can't beat the Launchpad offer by setting up a similar system yourself.
- Launchpad is already endorsed by the community, and most people with the ability to solve problems already have a Launchpad account and experience.
- You can use the system worry-free because their staff handles all the technical difficulties for you.

A lot of effort is beeing put into the interfacing to other bug tracking systems and a basic web services API is already there.

See https://launchpad.net/+tour/bugs under "Web services API"
and https://launchpad.net/+tour/api

>Anyway, nobody talking of a proprietary system here... aren't we into
>Open Source? ;)

My bad, replace "proprietary" with "separate". Must be the marketing material talking :)

I'm going to explore the possibilities of the Launchpad API a bit further in the coming days, i'll keep you posted.

Mvg,
Tim