[Ubuntu-be] Ubuntu support points map - a little test - ICTdag.be

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen.gaeremyn at pandora.be
Wed Jul 22 21:40:44 BST 2009

>> Nobody has any connections at the board or in the school IT-surroundings?
>>
> Connecties: ik kan het eens proberen maar dan moet je wel met een
> degelijke stand kunnen komen en mikken op het onderwijspubliek.
> Vergeet ook niet dat heel wat 'toppers' van linux reeds beschikbaar zijn
> voor het windows-platform: openoffice.org, firefox, scribus, inkscape,
> gimp,.... tot en met tuxpaint voor het kleurteronderwijs! Wat zal je
> boodschap zijn dat ubuntu/linux als platform niet 'overbodig' maakt?
Okay... 2 very good points here:

1. What's the "Ubuntu advantage" over an MS-Windows system

    * no licensing fees (= recurring) - but a migration/training cost (=
      one time)
    * very strong integrated updating system
    * affordable professional support (paid for) by Canonical available
    * easy to find "safe" archive of programs/applications in repository
    * quasi-immune for viruses - also no need to run a virus scanner
      (eating up resources)
    * also runs great on old hardware (strong point for many schools)
    * learning values like "sharing" and "responsibility" when touching
      the philosophy of Ubuntu and Open Source in general
    * Software also exists for Windows: well... it's also Open Source -
      supporting Open Source is supporting continued development of this
      kind of software (and idealism)

2. Can we set up a decent stand?

This question is possibly even more important is you don't want to
profile Ubuntu as "a bunch of amateurs".
I would hope a specific task-force for this audience would be worth
while... specific targeted folders could then be printed in lower
volumes... and I think it's easy to have some Edubuntu systems running
out there...

Some things to think about.
I agree with Koen: we shouldn't be pulling strings if we then end up
making ourselves and Ubuntu ridiculous.
Maybe it's worth our while to wait this out for another year and get our
act together (but keep it on our roadmap)

Jurgen.