[Ubuntu-be] About the Belgian Local Community Team (BelgianLoCo Team)

Steven De Baets steven.debaets at telenet.be
Mon Jul 13 23:55:01 BST 2009

This discussion is clearly getting out of hand.
People shouting about, making statements or insulting others don't help
anybody and certainly don't help ubuntu-be.

Here are my two cents:

1. Language is not an issue. Depending on what you are writing about and
to whoms intrest, you can choose whatever language you like to write in.
If an issue is purely aimed at the Flemish part, feel free to write in
Dutch. If there is a bigger interest, write in English. As simple as that.
But please do remember you are not alone on this planet, and the
Ubuntu-movement is a very big movement spread all over the globe.
2. We do need more structure. Nobody knows who's doing what, lists are
not updated, and people who want to get involved and take
responsabilities, please do so. Put your skills on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/Skills, get your profile up in the
Ubuntu wiki.
Switching to a more formal structure is a thing that will be necessary,
but it won't and it shouldn't happen overnight. Let's walk before we
start running.
3. In addition to point 2: We would clearly benefit from a team
structure. I'm very happy to hear the Events Team has been created, but
we need more teams such as marketing, translation, and so on. I don't
know who can put them up? If I can help, I would be happy to do so.
4. As Pierre wrote: A voting system with deadline would be a great
feature to facilitate decision-making (for instance on spending or
ordering things). Once the deadline has passed, everybody had their
chance to vote and post suggestions, and the decision has been made. Done.

Maybe we do have to get better Launchpad integration for some issues (if
possible?), as I have found Launchpad pretty helpful in working with the
international teams.

And please, Rome wasn't built in one day, so do never expect to turn the
key today and have a perfectly working organisation tomorrow.
Things will have to be thought through and discussed, let's do it in a
decent and respectful way.

This will always be a long and winding road, but if we do this one step
at a time, you never know we might get somewhere...

These are my thoughts on the matter...

Anyway, i'll be leaving the country for a couple of days now, and hope
to get busy when I return!

Steven.