[Ubuntu-be] Ubuntu-be IRC meeting 26/08/2009 at 21 h. cancelled

Mattias Campe Mattias.Campe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 19:25:18 BST 2009

Dries Langsweirdt schreef:
> The annoying thing about mailinglist is that nothing is really
> categorized, nor can it be moderated. Topics are interleaved in the same
> mail and therefore information is scattered.
But it's possible to make a filter in your mail client, so that all mail
of ubuntu-be goes to a separate folder. Together with thread view, I
find this way of working very handy (using Thunderbird).
> People talk about stuff
> unrelated to the subject of the mail (like I do know).
That will still happen in a forum.
> It floods your
> mailbox (i got 30 mails from ubuntu-be since this morning),
I don't find that very annoying, as I use a filter.
> which makes
> people to become uninterested about what is going on because they don't
> want to be involved in all topics etc, etc, etc ...
I'm really almost exclusively a spectator on this list, but still I'm
very much interested in what's going on in Ubuntu-be. If a forum would
be used, I would only watch it a couple of times a year, instead of a day.
> I think there are
> two options to do it right: or you make several mailinglists on
> different topics, as suggested on the wiki (but then you make the amount
> of topics very limited and potentially un-democratic), or you make a
> real forum (not just a thing that classifies mails based on the subject,
> because that doesn't work due to aforementioned reasons).

I don't think that it would make participation bigger, but rather the
opposite (as well with a mailinglist as with a forum).
> These are my ideas of course, if you disagree, please let me know.

That applies for me too.

Mattias