[Ubuntu-be] Bredene fair booth report

jean7491 jean7491 at free.fr
Thu Nov 20 20:32:17 GMT 2008

Hi all

As newcomer in ubuntu.be, I participated to the DIPRO-fair in Bredene on
02/11/2008, with thre other ubuntu.be members. It was my first activity.
Here my lessons learned.

The most important is to look at the Wiki LoCoComputerFairHowto.

Equipment: lack of decoration of the booth (no tablecloths or coating)
and nothing with the name of the organizers' « Ubuntu.be » (a banner?).

Sideshow for promotion of Ubuntu was that of Roel Huybrechts, available
for Ubuntu.be, but ...

Not attractive to visitors: too many naked texts, no pictures, no
multimedia effects.

It must remain in simple language. Non-expert public (computing and
Linux) is the target.

It must attract the attention of the visitors/passers.

A PC (or laptop) with large screen and speakers, reserved for the
slideshow.

The screen should be higher than the table (more attractive).

Questions and demonstrations: many curious and questions about the
existence of Ubuntu next to Windows (dualboot).

The most important is to look at the Wiki LoCoComputerFairHowto.

Press and media interest : maybe not in the habits, but necessary in
order to promote Ubuntu.
We should let us know and, inter alia, focus on the (local) press.

Before the event : a brief letter to the journalists from the local
press to inform about our coming activity.

During the event : more attention to the presentation (decoration) of
our booth. Photos of the booth and activities.

After the event, suggestion of a short article (with one photo) to be
sent to the local press.

Jean