[Ubuntu-be] Website and support points map

Pierre Buyle mongolito404+ubuntu-be at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 22:07:09 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've been quite silent since the Ubuntu-be 2008 kickoff as must of my
time has been taken by others side-projects and paid day work. I
forgot to "announce" that I had written down what I believe are basic
requirements for the Ubuntu-be website. It's available for comments
and edit at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/2008/WebsiteRequirements.
The basic idea behind these requirements is to re-use existing CMS
feature to set-up a website for Ubuntu-be that can also serve as
backend for the Supporter Points Map.

There has been a lot of talk about which CMS, framework and language
to use. I have no personal preference about a CMS or it's language.
But since we have very scarce human resources (lot of people, but very
few hours per person), I'm strongly against the "let's do it ourself
with this kicking-ass framework" approach. I've done this mistake in
the past, I don't want to repeat it.

For what I know, Drupal 6 may be a good candidate since it provides
OpenID , customizable user profile and multilingual support. I don't
know if profile fields based search are flexible enough and if it
possible to expose it to JavaScript easily nor if the multilingual
support is good enough but it sure deserve a try. I could do it, but
since I delay the work for nearly three months, others may want to be
quicker.

On the JavaScript side, I'm using it professionally and really love to
play with it. Once we have the new website I will quickly adapt and
extend existing code.

--
mongolito404, king of the mongolian people