[Ubuntu-be] Dutch spell checker in English OOo

glennsouth fa036236 at skynet.be
Fri Jan 18 12:10:29 GMT 2008

To all my new Vriends,

	Sorry it took so long to respond to some of the digests I have
received. But I have just gotten out of the zuikenhuis for preliminary
and imminent surgery for lower back.

Item 1. For those that responded to my issues regarding Geraardsbergen,
Thank You, the links that you have given me have been forwarded to my
colleague down here in no-mans-land to move forward on our Ubuntu
refurbishing. I am however, trying to tie the Kringloop advertising (250
stores, 100 warehouses, and 100 technicians also rolling out Ubuntu) to
coincide with the release party on May 3rd. Maybe I can get Kringloop to
post a slot on their web page on the release date as an invitation to
outside Lueven. I'll try and keep you posted on our progress down here.

Item 2. Dutch to English and going the other way: I use SYSTRAN ver? on
XP, I use it mostly to interpret pertinent emails that I receive in
Belgie'. AND have tried it to convert my English papers to Dutch,
therefore the problem and issues.

2A: Example. I converted a document, a very simple one, maybe two
paragraphs long. When a very astute vriend of mine reviewed the
document, he never saw some of the words that were translated before. So
almost 50 percent of the document had to be scraped and redone in
FLEMISH. THERE is that much difference as it appears some of the
translating software <systran> appears to be more German affluent.

	Also, you have to consider that "sentencing structures", Nouns and
verbs, are reversed between the two languages. This is why it so hard
for me to learn Nederland at my age and being a professional writer.
Depending how the sentence is written, is dependent on placing the noun,
verb, or adjective correctly to get the viewpoint embedded.

	But I will help reconstruct English (American) as you need me to do so.
I know that the English taught here in Belgium is " King's English ".
And there again, there is quite a difference, because American English
has so many "slang" adjectives that the Kings English does not.

Item 3: The release party IRC, can someone tell me exactly in personal
email how this is done? I would like to view and watch ( if I haven't
already missed it!) what you are doing and join in as needed, as I need
to be updated as frequently as possible for me to continue my program
down here.

Item 4: I have scraped the DVD presentation for the stores due to
language barriers and time it takes for a customer to watch the video.
( I also can't control the sales people to take the CD out of the
machine before it released from the store) I will go with a basic power
point type presentation on the desktop that the store employee can just
click and run under continuous mode that each screens goes into split
screens with Belgium 1st, French 2nd, and English 3rd, with snapshots in
between the pages. Remember that we are trying to capture the 4 most
used software areas in Europe. Internet (Google), search
engines,Email,Chat,Limewire. The videos I have seen on Ubuntuvideo.com,
just don't cut the mustard. They were of poor quality, and mistakenly
not designed to grab an interested "advanced" user by the throat to make
him buy a 60-80euro used machine with Ubuntu on it.

The response to the first 4 machines released down here we a disaster
until I got MY stuff together, but still having complaints on the fact
that even though the machine was set in Belgie', most of the components
were still in English. That is what I am faiting down here.But down
here...well, what can I say. The Battle of the Bulge only lasted through
Belgium for three days. I guess most of the people didn't catch the
American, British things as we rolled towards the Rhine river.  LOL

Item 5: WINE - I will try and install my first WINE project concerning
an older copy of Visio 95? which I miss so much. I did retrieve a hard
drive with XP Pro and Visio 2003 om it. I did catch this in a
forum/google search:

COPY AND PASTED "Have you tried to install Visio under Linux using Wine
(Windows Emulation). I only have an old version, but it installed under
Feisty Fawn with no difficulties. You can install Wine from Synaptic
Package Manager < I already have done that >(under the System menu). To
install Visio, mount your Visio CD or copy the install files locally and
launch Setup.exe from Wine File (this will be added under Applications,
Accessories."

The word MOUNT, I guess, just means put it in the CD reader of choice,
then copy ALL of the files in a folder. Then open WINE and launch the
setup.exe inside of WINE. ? What happens to all the .WIN .DLL's and
stuff? Are they converted internally in WINE? <---NOOB mode on

That's it. I am done. "it's clobberin' time!"<----Ben Grimm mode on (I
have been a comic book enthusiast since I have been delivering
newspapers door to door. I grew up with Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.)DC
SUCKS!!!!

CYA'll

Glenn South - catch you on the flip flop