[Ubuntu-be] Why Linux Doesn't Spread - the Curse of Being Free

Steven Leeman steven at leeman.be
Thu Feb 21 16:30:10 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Bart Broeckx <bart at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I do not agree, it's true.
>
>  We can't even sell Ubuntu in africa. That's because the africans like to
> be like the americans, they want what we've got.
> But that doesn't mean that we don't want it because it's free.
>
> There are more  things that makes people don't want Linux.
> - Everybody has Windows, so it has to be good.

Nah MacOSX is good although not everybody has it...   -> IT'S ALL ABOUT
MARKETING...
you can't make money on something that is free... so you don't have any
vultures (marketeers) selling air :-/
but alas most people that aren't a computer-expert are buying on impulse
using the impulses those vultures make...
(offcoze an ipod is easier to use than a creative zen .... and offcoze you
don't need a 3G Iphone which is unlocked)

> - People don't know they pay for Windows when they buy a pc

a dell with linux costs as much as a dell with linux... you even get worse
hardware for thesame price :(

- They don't know anybody in there family or with there friends who uses
> Linux. where do they go when they need help?

they even have (more) problems with windows ... but they hate it when I ask
them to type "cmd" and give me some info :-)

> Linux needs marketshare to get a momentum where people realise it's a real
> alternative. Linux needs to be inovative to give people the need to have
> Linux, ...

a nice article is :
http://www.security.nl/article/18124/1/Van_Windows_naar_Linux_en_weer_terug.html