[Ubuntu-be] KBC-for-business and linux, pt2

Bram Biesbrouck b at beligum.org
Thu Aug 7 12:26:14 BST 2008

Hey guys,

A while ago, I asked everyone for some hints/comments/suggestions about the
fact that my KBC-online-for-business didn't have support for Linux. A lot of
reactions later, I visited my KBC-agent and explained her this is of pretty
large importance to me, since I don't have any M$ boxes at all in my company.
She said the only thing she could do was prolong my old password-key
protected account some more, and file a complaint to the KBC tech staff. So
she did.

Now, this morning actually, I received a phone call from a technical KBC
employee, explaining to me that my complaint has been discussed, and he can
formally tell me there will be no support for any other OS than MS Windows.

Wait, there's more. He did have a solution ready for me (since he privately
uses Linux too, whow); install VirtualBox/VMware/... and run Windows on your
Linux box, use IE, and access your KBC-account like that... Then, I told him
this isn't really a structural solution, since I don't have any MS license,
and I don't wanna pay 100+ euro, just to access my KBC-online account
(actually, I lied, I do have a license on my laptop, but I don't want to use
my laptop for checking my bank-statements, and the license is bound to that
machine). I continued asking him why it's so difficult for a company like KBC
to hire a couple of Linux-developers, and adapt/adopt their system, so it
works on Linux/Mac/Solaris/... too, after all, it's a _business_ account, and
I expect it to be more flexible than my personal one. He said: hey, it's not
us, blame Isabel, they're the ones that don't support other OS's. Once again,
I continued, asking him why other banks succeed where KBC seems to be
failing? "Well, because they don't use Isabel, we're the only one that are
providing this excellent service". I don't know about other banks, but to me,
this seems like a bold statement to make.

Another solution was to switch back to a regular account, and use their
regular login-apparatus instead. Seems like a stupid solution to me too; once
again, businesses want their banks to be more flexible.

Anyway, now I know there's no luck in having Linux-support for my
KBC-for-business. I think I'm going to look for another bank, at least for my
business account, since this is unacceptable.

Any suggestions?

bram