[Ubuntu-be] Songbird (en,nl)

Sander Van der Maelen sander.vandermaelen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 10:54:12 BST 2008

Hi Steven,

I downloaded Songbird, installed it smoothly in English (Dutch-be gave an
error) and I'm a huge fan of it already. It looks great, it feels great but
I think it needs a bit more integration of different music services in the
program. I know this is the work of a to-be community, but it would however
greatly increase your music experience: integrated hype machine and
last.fmsupport (more than a bookmark I mean with that), having a
better music
experience with a more developed music player, etc. And, I have to follow
you on this one: it uses a HUGE amount of memory and CPU - more than
Rhythmbox and Firefox combined, that is. Also, I don't see the immediate
advantage of a program combining a music player with a web browser, since
there are enough alternatives out there (the FoxyTunes plugin to control
your media player from within Firefox, Media Applet to add to your Gnome
panel) and Songbird still is very young and not largely developed yet.
So far for my review of Songbird. As I said, I'm seriously thinking about
using it as a replacement for Rhythmbox (not for Firefox because the space
the browser has is not large enough to me), but it still lacks the key
elements it would need to become a succes, mayor implementations of existing
music services online to name one. Also, SkreemR is *teh ugly*.

Cheers,
Sander.

----
I won't type this in Dutch. Sorry.