[Ubuntu-be] VOIP (was: Skype)

Gaëtan Frenoy gaetan at frenoy.net
Tue Apr 8 08:07:03 BST 2008

Good morning Amedee,

Le Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:43:03 +0200, Amedee Van Gasse écrivait:
> I have only one question. What is the name of the alternative based on
> SIP that you use?

I used Ekiga (http://ekiga.org/) and twinkle
(http://www.twinklephone.com) but now I switched to a hardware phone
which is more comfortable and reliable (you don't leave your computer
on the whole night and day, do you?).

> And I mean software as well as network.

Network?  What do you mean?  It's just the internet and you can call
any IP address on this network.

If you mean provider and the fact that you can easily call other
customers from the same provider, see below.

> Please also mention your cost for calling to landlines with your voip
> solution.

There are so many providers worldwide!  I would be surprise you don't
find one that have the best tariff for your favorite destination.
That's the main advantage : you are free to choose and you are not
locked in the tariff of your unique provider! Note that this can be
seen as a disadvantage too since it's hard to choose.  Note also that
all providers are not strong on all destinations so you might have to
work with two or three providers according to your usage.

Please also be sure that this is a trade-off between price and
quality.  Don't expect high quality if you don't pay anything to your
provider...

If in doubt, I can suggest a Belgian provider I work with.

But, to give a rough idea, I've already called landlines in Belgium from
0 (zero) cent to 2.7 cents / minute.