[Ubuntu-be] choosing an ISP in Belgium

Pierre Lison plison at agora.eu.org
Sat Nov 24 18:34:49 GMT 2007

Hi all!

I'm Pierre Lison, a long time Ubuntu user now living in Germany, but
originally from Belgium.  The computer I'm using right now is becoming
quite old, and I'd like to buy a new one and give the "old" to my
grandmother, who would like to have a basic computer so that she can
communicate by email with her grandsons, use text processors to write
letters, surf on the internet, etc.

I'm convinced that Linux distros such as Ubuntu are now intuitive and
user-friendly enough to be used by people with few or no technical
knowledge like my grand-mother, so, if everything goes well, Ubuntu will
be - or rather, stay - the standard installed OS on the machine.

Obviously, I'll need to setup an internet connection for her.  Something
cheap (she'll be online only a few hours per week or month, and doesn't
need a fast connection) and above all, running "out of the box".

Now here's my question: according to you, which belgian ISP - and more
specifically, which of their commercial offers - should I choose?  I
need to choose an ISP for whom I can be sure that the hardware will be
100% compatible with Ubuntu (automatic recognition by NetworkManager an
all)  I've heard about the Belgacom ADSL offer, but is the Thomsom
modems included in their "internet pack" working under Ubuntu?

Would you be kind enough to give me some advices on this question?

Thanks a lot!

Pierre

PS: you can answer me in English, French, Dutch, or German, as you
prefer.

--
Pierre Lison (student in Computational Linguistics)
Blumenstraße 17,        Web:    www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~pierrel