[Ubuntu-be] hello list

Joeri Poesen jpoesen at servr.be
Fri Mar 16 10:03:45 GMT 2007

Hey Kevin

sorry to reply like this, I had my mailing list settings set to daily
digest and I couldn't figure out a way to reply directly.
Anyhow, about you question re: rails/python:

- python should be compared to ruby (the language), not ruby on rails
(the application framework)
- rails is comparable with the django framework that's built on python

I have no hands-on experience with python/django, but I think they're
quite similar to ruby/rails, although coming from a java world, you'll
find python far more accessible as its syntax is quite close to java.
Ruby on the other hand is influenced by lisp and smalltalk. Its syntax
is quite strange to begin with if you've never been exposed to
lisp/smalltalk, but imho ruby is a very natural and intuitive language.
It's very expressive and allow you to do funky stuff, especially
compared to the C# stuff I was used to.

So on the whole, I think they're equally hard/easy to learn and both are
powerfull, expressive and refreshing.

Joeri

--
Joeri Poesen
web developer

jpoesen at servr.be
+32 (0) 478 800 719

world.servr | webontwikkeling voor social- en non-profits
http://world.servr.be