[Ubuntu-be] Presentation at dipro's

Kevin Elaerts kevin.elaerts at telenet.be
Fri Jan 26 16:45:28 GMT 2007

Op vr, 26-01-2007 te 00:26 +0100, schreef Mark Van den Borre:
> Ismael,
>
> > We are looking for some people who would like to help to set up a PowerPoint presentation for visitors at future dipro's.
> Improvements to
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ubuntu_dipro.odp
> are always welcome. Maybe even a complete rewrite could be useful.
>
> > Our plan is to show them with a nice presentation that a PowerPoint slideshow works fine in OpenOffice.org Presentation.
> A good answer on compatibility, standards and black boxes is a really
> good idea. Just don't force feed it to potential new Ubuntu users.
> Keep it for those who explicitly start asking about it. We do the same
> thing for people asking about Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
>
> A good idea might be to find some public Microsoft
> Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents, grab some screenshots of them
> rendered in different MS Office versions and in a recent
> OpenOffice.org. This would be a really nice illustration of the
> problematic interoperability between Microsoft Office versions, _and_
> a nice illustration of OpenOffice.org's import/export capabilities.
>
> More in general, we need to be careful to keep the message simple and
> consistent. One attracts potential users with familiar sounding words:
> Firefox for surfing, OpenOffice.org for docs & presentations, Linux
> under the hood talking to the hardware. One deflects potential users
> with unnecessary complexity.
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark Van den Borre
> Noormannenstraat 113
> 3000 Leuven, België
> +32 486 961726

Indeed as Mark has already pointed out, it is better to pull poeple over
the line by showing them some familiar software that can be found as
both in Ubuntu/Linux as in Windows.
For a thing I finally got a conversion on my hand, just because I
pointed at the available software that runs on both systems and also the
fact that he is a programmer and that Ubuntu/Linux provides a lot off
programmingtools out off the box.
Referring to that one, it was my prime reason to make the switch in the
first place.

Greetings,

Kevin Elaerts