[Ubuntu-be] mailing lists vs. forums

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Thu Jan 11 12:09:43 GMT 2007

Op woensdag 10-01-2007 om 09:12 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Jan Fabry:
> What do you think of a website like Gmane [ http://gmane.org/ ]?
> Instead of the 'forum', it creates a sibling newsgroup, which (at
> least in my opinion) solves much of the compatibility issues. It also
> creates an easier way of searching the archives

Netnews newsgroups & mailing lists aren't 100% compatible (e.g. there
are differences with the way cross-posting is handled), but most people
who use such "bridges" are "insiders" who know the netiquete and other
rules involved.  Gmane is mostly used by people who are experienced ML
and NN users, not by people who only knew web forums before.

> (the current archive
> offers no way of searching, unless I completely overlooked it).

There is Google & Yahoo etc.
Or you can search them off-line...

> Many ubuntu mailing lists (including ubuntu-nl and ubuntu-fr) can
> already be found on gmane (under gmane.linux.ubuntu.*). Ubuntu-be
> could be added there (maybe under g.l.u.region.belgium, similar to
> ubuntu-br, to make the distinction user support <-> loco team more
> clear?).

That might be a good idea.

--
Jan Claeys