[Ubuntu-be] New member: introduction

Frederick De Vogelaere Frederick.DeVogelaere at UGent.be
Tue Jan 9 12:42:45 GMT 2007

Hi there,

I finally subscribed myself to this mailing-list, mainly because I'm
still getting more enthousiastic every day about Linux and especially
(K)Ubuntu.

Let me introduce myself: So I'm Frederick De Vogelaere, living in Ghent,
currently employed as a scientific researcher for University Ghent (I'm
working on a PhD-degree about the early detection of Alzheimer's
disease  with MRI-scanners). I've been into computers for many years
now, mainly Windows-environments, but was always curious about
alternatives, mainly being Linux and its possibilities. The fact that
Linux is worldwide accepted as standard operating system for scientific
data-processing gave me the necessary nudge towards using it myself on a
daily basis. And to be honest, I'll never consider returning to Windows
(at least not voluntary :D). First distro I tried was OpenSuSE 10.0 but
I switched to Ubuntu 5.04 after some time. Since Dapper Drake I run
Kubuntu. Got one Kubuntu Edgy Eft box at home, one at work and a server
running Kubuntu Dapper Drake LTS also at work.

At work, I'm the only one at the moment working with Linux, but
colleagues are curious and are seeing the benefits I get with Linux
compared to  Windows. I got them already switched to Firefox and
Thunderbird and they work on the Linux-server through remote desktops...
but there's still some work to convert them fully... :D

kind regards,

Frederick De Vogelaere

PS: I noticed most posts on this list are in english. Is this the
default language used?