[Ubuntu-be] C D E ... Was:Re:wat is er nu zo uitzonderlijk aan Ubuntu?

Y P yellow.penguin at edpnet.be
Thu Apr 26 13:26:30 BST 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:06:56AM +0200, Snulkid wrote:
> Hello
>
> Le Mercredi 25 Avril 2007 22:48, Jan Claeys a écrit :
> > > W$-gebruiker al schrik gehad :-) dat het z'n schijf ging
> > > overschrijven terwijl het in feite live start. (...)
> > (...) een gelocaliseerde versie van de CDs voor België te maken.
> > Wat "live" vs. "overschrijven" betreft: dat staat op de officiële CDs
> >  & op de site wel uitgelegd.  Maar idd. een goed idee om dat
> > misschien tijdens het booten ook nog eens duidelijk te maken ("/me
> > noteert").
>
> After he asks me about Linux and Linux distros, a (computer-literate)
> collegue has tried ubuntu and was a bit lost about accessing his disks
> (he wanted to open some files for testing purposes).
> Maybe icons on the desktop "à la Knoppix", at least during the live
> session, would be an improvement. When *first* clicking on them, a
> popup dialog box could clearly inform about the "overwriting concern".
> And if there is a reliable way to figure out which partition is C:,
> D:,... (I guess there is), including such a mention in the icon name
> would be quite useful for Average Joe.
>
> Your opinion ?

Not a good idea; why? :
- if the swap is hda or sda1, where does you give the first hd part the
name C:\ ?
- the nomenclatura of hda/sda is not the major problem, the
admin/detection of it and their correct implementation in teh boot lines
in menu.lst, that's a major goal.
- When concepts are totally different, IMHO ex-W$ people should do
efforts to understand why it is so different, as if thei should
understand that your Linux o s can be installed/splitted in many patts
where the orde isn't important, but the partition type and fs:
Linux people must invest in the goal to make ex-W$ people understand
what the differences/advantages of Linux (/Ubuntu) are, not to try to
turn our different approach/concept of things to W$ imitations.
- One last example to argumentate about this: if you got 2 hds, under W$
hda/sda = C: and hdb/sdb = D: so ex-W$ will never understand why the
positons of C D E etc still move depending on each individual computer:
so definitely no, IMHO there's nothing wrong with our hda/da conception
of naming.

YP