[Ubuntu-be] Ubuntu Feisty - A little disappointed...

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Sun Apr 22 18:30:12 BST 2007

Op zondag 22-04-2007 om 19:15 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Stijn
Verslycken:
> On 4/22/07, Jan Claeys <ubuntu at janc.be> wrote:
> > Do you know why the kernel paniced?  (And why the alternate CD didn't
> > panic, as it uses exactly the same kernel...)

> I have no idea. Because the graphical bootup screen was used, I have
> no idea what was actually happening. I saw the progress indicator
> stopped, my cd drive stopped, there was no activity on my harddisk and
> all leds started blinking, a typical sign to indicate a kernel panic.

You can try to switch to the virtual console that has the boot messages
before it panics.

> I tried to reproduce it later on, but luckily I was not able to do so.
> It boots up the system, and instead of showing the gdm login screen,
> it shows a blue screen "Failed to start the X server....." and then a
> command line login prompt.

> > Did you try to boot using the "safe graphics" boot option?
>
> I did, but the results are all the same.

If the live-cd can't start X with the "safe graphics" option, that must
mean your graphics card has no VESA BIOS or it is broken...?

Or do you mean that happened only _after_ installing with the
alternative CD?

--
Jan Claeys