[Ubuntu-be] bank account -> minimal formal structure proposal

Mark Van den Borre mvdborre at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 10:30:46 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I would like ubuntu-be.org to have a bank account, with minimum fuss.

WHY not my personal account anymore?
I feel a little uncomfortable passing ubuntu-be.org money through it.
It's not huge amounts, but money is starting to flow around
ubuntu-be.org:
* fair booth payments
* booth donations, even if small (24€ total for Oostende)
* an offer from a booth visitor to fund us for the amount of 50€ was
difficult for us to accept

ADVANTAGES
* accept donations more easily
* less fuss administring money
* I feel more comfortable for me

FORMALITIES REQUIRED
We need at least two trusted ubuntu-be.org contributors to go to a
bank together, and a short and simple "statuts/statuten" statement.
See attached Belgian Banks Association blessed template.

PROPOSALS:
1. consensus election
2. mandate duration
3. dispute resolution

proposal 1: consensus election
We want two coordinators:
 * with a demonstrated need to access ubuntu-be.org funds frequently (fairs,...)
 * 1 NL_BE, 1 FR_BE
 * who publish every ubuntu-be.org bank account transaction they make
to this list and the web site

I am pretty sure it is obvious who fits these roles right now. We can
probably unite around two people who have gained the trust of all list
members. Here's the somewhat unconventional way I propose to "elect"
them:

1. Candidates for coordinatorship propose themselves to the list.
(optional) If there is more than one candidate per language,
candidates discuss between them and step back voluntarily until there
is only one candidate left.
If impossible, further discussion.
2. As soon as this one candidate per language gets the public support
of 10 list members, he is elected.

proposal 2: mandate duration
A coordinator is appointed for two years, with the possibility to
resign early at any given moment. After this term, a new consensus
election.

proposal 3: dispute resolution
When a list member is unhappy about something the coordinator did:
1. private discussion with the coordinator.
if unresolved:
2. public discussion
if unresolved:
3. public ousting: 1.5 * the number of votes that elected the
candidate needed; if ousting successful, new election

If this proposal is accepted, I will run for the NL coordinator mandate.

Mark
--
Mark Van den Borre
Noormannenstraat 113