[Ubuntu-be] Flemish ministry of education distributes Ubuntu

Toni Van Remortel ToniVR at telenet.be
Sun Nov 19 17:25:10 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 00:30 +0100, Philippe De Ryck wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 19:05 +0100, Toni Van Remortel wrote:
> > What info do you want to 'provide'? Open source on Windows is already
> > collected in lists about 100 times.
>
> I haven't given this topic much thought yet, but I was definitely
> thinking about the usage of linux, not windows. Maybe some specific info
> for schools (where good sysadmins are scarce) about the specific
> advantage of linux (price, stability, flexibility) over MS windows. I
> think a lot of people are scared by linux, which may not be
> necessary ...

The problem is that way too much specific software is used in higher
education. If I could find Linux versions for all required software, I
would switch all workstations. But that is just impossible today.

> This can maybe be solved by providing complete and up to date solutions
> that can replace a specific windows situation. For instance, the linux
> alternative to share a folder with some specific permissions. Of course
> a lot of this info already exists on the net, but may be to elaborate
> for small use.

Might be usefull to collect it all, if not already done offcourse.

> Also listings of educational and field-specific programs. Maybe a list
> of programs that run in wine (and how). I'm working on one program these
> weeks, but hope to get a lot more running on wine.

These days, it is very difficult to run todays apps on Wine, as they
require too much functionality from Windows. And that is something wine
still cannot solve. Sad, but true.

Regards,
--
Toni Van Remortel <ToniVR at telenet.be>