[Ubuntu-be] Hallo

Christophe Vandeplas christophe at vandeplas.com
Wed Nov 15 17:19:47 GMT 2006

Jürgen wrote:
> So I think we have to go via the source : computer stores.
> I would like to promote in the region of Kortrijk and even
> West-Vlaanderen. Are the pc stores found on the site the only ones
> contacted in the regio, or have there already been actions of this kind
> in the region of Kortrijk - Roeselare.
> I would also think promoting Ubuntu to ngo's a good idea. What ngo's use
> gnu/linux and wich ngo's are still to be targetted?

The computer stores are indeed a place where we need a certain focus.
(next to education)

So the question is: Why don't the stores sell pc's with opensource and/or
ubuntu/linux.

A quick (uncomplete) answer: They don't make money out of it. How can
they *sell* _free_ software?

This is completely false. Computer stores can make a lot of money, not by
selling the software, but by selling the service of installing the
software. If you look at the % of PROFIT by selling services compared to
the % of PROFIT by selling (not their) software the difference is huge.
By selling services they get approx 80% profit margin (count 10% of work
to discover the software, ignore time for installation as they also have
to do it for commercial software, and counting that they sell the pc a
little less than the one with commercial software)

I sincerely think that there is a need for a
well-formed-commercial-oriented paper (one A4 recto-verso max).
A similar paper should contain testimony's of other stores who tried it.

Fellow ubuntu/FLOSS people could hand it over to the stores in their
surroundings and have a little chat about that paper.

Unfortunately I won't be able to work myself on such a paper before march
(aka after FOSDEM). If there are any people interested, feel free to
contact me directly.
Qualities we need (you need at least one of them):
- - used/wants to write commercial talk
- - has some experience with layout on paper
- - wants to brainstorm to get advantages
- - can find a store that is ready to do the test for 1 month, do the
necessary promotion (and then compare their extra benefits)

As stated: contact me
of if you are interested to manage this stuff, tell me and I'll forward
all the volunteers to you.

Greets

- --
Christophe  Vandeplas - Belgium