[Ubuntu-be] Introduction

A.J. Baudrez wamukota at scarlet.be
Tue Jun 27 19:21:26 BST 2006

Hi,

my name is Alain Baudrez, almost 50 years old and I live in Brugge (some 300
meters from Jan I think).
I've been involved in IT since 1978 when I bought my first Tandy Model I (Z80
CPU and 4 K Ram), fought my way through DOS, CP/M,  TRS-DOS, MS-stuff, up
until now where I am a networkadmin and programmer in the Belgian Navy where
I develop in DotNet (C# and ASP). I am currently working on a Naval Mine
Wargame Simulator for the NATO at EGUERMIN (http://www.eguermin.org).

It is only recently that I switched to GNU/Linux starting with SUSE 9.2 (2
years ago). My current distro on my desktop is Novell SUSE 10.1 and I am
starting to get the hang of GNU/Linux.
But I am not at all happy with the way Novell handles SUSE. This was the
reason for me to look elsewhere and the obvious try was Kubuntu for me, which
was and is a pleasant surprise, and runs happely on my laptop.

Within my Linux activities I am involved as a mentor in the Linux mailgroep of
http://www.seniorennet.be and am webmaster of our little website
http://linux.seniorennet.be
Seniors are one of the most overlooked potential users of GNU/Linux. They will
become the largest group of non-working persons in our society and the
largest group of Internet users. There lies a huge market for GNU/Linux.
Alas, very little is done for those people to get them away from the
Microsoft swamp with all its known 'features'. This is the reason that I try
to convince them to switch to GNU/Linux. You only have to look at the forums
on seniorennet to see what kind of problems thay have with MS.
Now that I have discovered the ease-of-use of the (K/X)Ubuntu distro family, I
am even more convinced that this distro is the right one for them.

You can reach via jabber: wamukota AT jabberweb.be or ICQ : 136679555

Greetings,

A.J. Baudrez