[Ubuntu-be] Next Ubuntu party (Edgy?)

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Sun Jun 11 19:59:45 BST 2006

Op za, 10-06-2006 te 16:57 +0200, schreef Benjamin Sion:

> Yesterday I made phone calls to Jonathan Loriaux (the guy who -pretty
> well- organised last Ubuntu Breezy party in Brussels), to Cédric
> Janssens, and to organizer of 'Cream e Gusto' parties in Brussels
> [cremaegusto.be] = kind of "Bulex" party (people from Brussels know it
> very well).

I only know "Bulex" as the manufacturer of hot water boilers...  ;-)

One problem: "Crema e Gusto" seems to be an exclusively French-language
organisation.  For an Ubuntu-party we'll need that to be multilingual
(both promotion beforehand & personnel at the location).

> - Last Breezy party was based on a good idea to organize it in a
> discotheque with a bar (no need to bring and buy drinks by ourselves),
> with a big screen for the demo and presentation (for Internet connexion:
> ClearWire -belgian WiMax provider- gave us a modem for the party).
> Thanks to Jonathan who -hardly- organized the party.

ClearWire is the largest American WiMax provider, so they are not really
"Belgian"...  ;-)

But if they want to sponsor us, that's okay of course (and if not, I'm
pretty sure we can find another internet provider to sponsor an event
that sounds "cool" and "hip").

> Entrance is free before 22h30.

The disadvantage of a party organisation like this is that I suspect the
prices for drinks will be rather high.  Also, for people coming after
22h30, it's not exactly cheap to get in either.

> ubuntu-be.org people, what do you think about it?

> If we can confirm a date for a special Ubuntu event, maybe it could
> become a important public party...
> It could be a traditional 'install party' + music party + demo on
> screens + distribution of Ubuntu CD's + press invitation + ...

The idea sounds cool, but I think we have to discuss about the remarks I
gave above (and other remarks that other people might send) before
deciding.

--
Jan Claeys