[Ubuntu-be] I got a question from a potential Ubuntu user

Mark Van den Borre mvdborre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 01:02:31 BST 2006

On 6/1/06, Amedee Van Gasse <amedee at amedee.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got an email from noreply at vrijesoftware.be with a question of a
> potential Ubuntu user.
> He asks if it is possible to learn him how to configure a server.
> (literally translated).
>
> I'm a bit confused on what I should reply.
> I registered myself on the steunpunten map as an experienced user, not
> as a system administrator, exactly because I wanted to avoid this kind
> of questions. My focus is on helping regular users that want to use
> Ubuntu for everyday desktop applications (browser, email, office,
> images, messaging, multimedia,...).
> I feel confident enough to install a server for myself, but not to
> explain to someone else how to do that.
> Anyway, what kind of server does he need? A file server? A web server? A
> print server? A mail server? He doesn't mention that...
We should make it clear that the support points are for desktop use.
If they still send you a question about a server, and you want to help
them, that's fine of course. It should not be our goal though.

I will add relevant info to the faq, and the (to be integrated)
volunteer manual. Please note this may take a few days. Busy here, PR
going out tomorrow morning.

Mark
--
Mark Van den Borre