[Ubuntu-be] Nieuw lid.

Bram Biesbrouck b at beligum.org
Mon Jul 24 18:46:26 BST 2006

Op maandag 24 juli 2006 19:12, schreef Adriaan Leynse:
> There are as far as I know no distro's that provide flash in an easy
> way... And this is meant for newbies right. An ogg/theora can simply
> be download-and-opened in like every distro.

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Works just fine, but that's not the issue here.
Try watching a theora/vorbis stream from a fresh windows install, that doesn't
work either.
When streaming media, it's about choices. Personally, FLV gives me the best
compression-rate on the market (sigh, my own codec gives me a better one, but
unfortunately, open standards don't seem to divergate very quickly ;-)).
FYI, I'm paying for all of this myself. Yes, that means, a few couple of
hundred euros a month to get this service in the air, plus the costs for the
servers, maintenance, not to mention my salary for the past year I've been
working on this project.
Oh, sponsors, I hear you say? Forget it, I knocked on several doors and the
most positive answer you get is: "This is very interesting, try coming back
in a few months when things are rolling out...".
I don't know what you know about bandwidth fees (we're talking 800x600
streaming video here), but here in Europe, bandwidth is expensive, so I need
the best compression because every streamed video file adds to that pipe that
gets clogged up.
For now, FLV is my only solution, unless you know some people that can offer
me a 10Mbit uplink as a sponsorship-deal.

Sorry for this agressive attitude, but I'm getting sick of people complaining
and telling me what to do.

b.