[Ubuntu-be] Nieuw lid.

Bram Biesbrouck b at beligum.org
Wed Jul 19 21:13:12 BST 2006

Op woensdag 19 juli 2006 21:53, schreef Mark Van den Borre:
> 2006/7/19, Bram Biesbrouck <b at beligum.org>:
> > Op woensdag 19 juli 2006 21:40, schreef Adriaan Leynse:
> > > I wouldn't count on it. Macromedia litterally doesn't give a damn.
> > > You'd probably be better off creating a html version and let people
> > > pick...
>
> Have you looked at http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul ? That is a 100%
> free software  desktop session recorder. It produces ogg theora video
> files.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I noticed that project. I also checked out xvidcap, vncrec and x11vnc.
My intent was to create a more robust and extendable solution, more like a
free-alternative to Qarbons ViewletBuilder or Macromedia's Captivate. In
other words, not a desktop feature, but a client program, interacting with a
webservice, support for importing and exporting to and from various formats,
providing addition of comments in multiple languages and so forth.

Actually, ScreenKast was just a means to 'revolutionize' the way
(Linux-)helpdesking was performed. After installing GNU/Linux on my friends
desktops, I was tired of the 'stupid' questions they asked me. Try explaining
to a novice Linux-user how to fire up a shell and mount a volume. It's just
too hard for them. Try explaining the same with a video and they'll
answer: "Oh, that's all?". The last few months, I tested it out on various
people and believe me, it makes a big difference.

greets,

Bram