[Ubuntu-be] support.points.map status & question

Toni Van Remortel ToniVR at telenet.be
Tue Jul 18 17:10:25 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:21 +0200, Pierre Buyle wrote:
> Hoi,
>
> I'm done with user registration (and form validation) for the
> support.points.map. After trying to use CodeIgniter's validation lib.
> I decided to drop it (it doesn't supporter data object validation in
> model but only $_POST validation in controller). I'm currently using
> ad-hoc validation code, when finished with this "second release", I
> will try to cook my own "validation lib" suited with the needs of our
> application.

I'll check it out and try to use it in my code too.

> I'm now moving to supporters contacts (forms) and I've a question
> concerning the behavior of the application for this. At the moment,
> the application directly send a mail to the supporter without
> acknowledgement to the requester and without validation of his/her
> email address. This is not very nice as I see two problems with this
> behavior. The requester may have made mistake in his email and the
> application (and the supporter) have no way to tell him/her. A "evil"
> requester could abuse the contact form to spam or flood supporters.
>
> I see two solutions to this problem but I don't know wich is better
> (for all point view).
> In the first solution the request (for contact) can be stored in the
> database. An email is send to the requester with a validation link he
> has to visit to validate his request and effectively send an email to
> the supporter. In the second solution, the application does not send a
> mail to the supporter but instead to the requester. This mail informs
> him/her about his/her request and that he/she should reply to this
> message to effectively contact to supporter (the supporter's email
> will be in the "reply-to" field of the mail).

What about a valid requester account? Like supporters, requesters should
register for an account (with validation offcourse). Then they can
freely request support in any way.

> In the meantime, if you have some XHTML + CSS + Javascript
> (XmtHttpRequest/AJAX) (+ PHP but only a few) skills and if your are
> interested to create a kick ass AJAXed supporters list with
> geolocalisation or a simple XHTML+CSS supporter list, feel free to
> volonteer.

I know CSS quite well, like XHTML. Javascript and AJAX aren't yet
in /dev/brain/knowledge, but I recently bought me a book about AJAX +
PHP. Seems quite easy to implement. Will take a look at it when I got my
shop-list in a reasonable state.

Regards,
--
Toni Van Remortel <ToniVR at telenet.be>