[Ubuntu-BD] Fwd: Windows 8's use of the UEFI Secure Boot

Miah M. Hussainuzzaman mmhzaman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:06:40 UTC 2011

Well, let me take that propaganda as a fact and put my two-paisa on that
point of view:

In that scenario the users like me will buy the hardware which will let them
install linux. I like to use linux distro as a stand-alone OS (as in my
Office pc right now). It is not unusual for some others too ---- still those
who wanted to install linux, did not buy mac hardware as it did not let the
users install other OS.

Apple is now allowing to install second OS on their hardware while some
other company is trying to do the opposite -- so the scenario seems a bit
funny to be true.

Did apple face any legal problem, not letting other OS on their hardware?
.... if no, than MS may get away with this scenario.

Our govt. is taking steps towards open source --- may be not driven by any
passion rather facing the bitter reality that otherwise, they have to pay
the hard earned foreign currency for it. So, probably, in such a scenario,
those MS-only machines might not find an easy way in BD markets.

Still now, in some bios (or firmware?), we have to change an options to
select "other OS" or something like that .... to install linux on it. May be
the new hot topic is a version of that kind of thing, proposed in a wider
range.

Finally, this kind of FUD is not new. My colleague faced such info while
buying a netbook from computer city --- the vendor was very confident that
it is not possible to install linux on the sata drive while answering his
query on this matter (he asked this, because he uses linux-mint on his home
pc). But in reality, I have installed linux Mint on that netbook without any
extra effort.

Cheers!
Shamim.
(Non-techie linux user)