[Ubuntu-BD] ``সফটওয়্যার মুক্তি দিবস – ২০১১” তে বাংলাদেশে উৎসব আয়োজন

maSnun masnun at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:10:54 UTC 2011

A very well thought email by Shahriar vai.

First of all, I appreciate the events organized by FOSSBD. Something is
better than nothing.
But the events organized by FOSSBD are actually much better than just
"something". They're doing pretty good. The only point they are lacking is
public relations.

I am not against FOSSBD, no one else is. If we were not Linux enthusiasts,
we would not stay subscribed to this mailing list so long. We all are on the
same boat. When an email comes to the group inviting to an event or
summarizing the achievements of an event, questions may come. In fact those
emails are sent to the group to interact with the members of the group. We
shouldn't always expect praise and appreciation. We should accept
**constructive** criticism as well. If you want to promote an event through
a public mailing list, you should have the courtesy as well.

I am probably the person who has written most emails with questions and
criticism. I have been vocal against the price issues, news mismatch,
slogans etc. I have never flamed blindly, I have tried to provide some
alternatives as well. But looks like the criticisms are not being accepted
well. My queries are being replied with offense, being taken as aggressive
gestures. Personal attacks follow. The worst thing I notice is the attitude
-- "I am doing it all, so you can't criticize me or my work". I have
appreciated the installation booth, I have called the revised pricing scheme
fair but people are still not convinced.

Constant flaming has become a regular phenomenon in the mailing list. I have
identified a few reasons :-

-- Personal disliking and disputes

-- Lack of openness (people don't want to admit that they are wrong, I will
never say I made a mistake)

-- Thinking others stupid and less knowledgeable or effective (I have been
told to **study** several times as if I didn't know anything, I have been
blamed inactive once)

-- No explicit guidelines and moderation from Ubuntu BD team. We know Shabab
vai once started an initiative of small signatures, still we see some people
don't give a damn to those.

There are several other issues. But it is obvious that these flamings are
not going to take us anywhere. I am requesting the moderators to go for
moderation and state some community guidelines.

--
Abu Ashraf Masnun | +8801711960803 | http://masnun.com <http://masnun.com>