[Ubuntu-BD] FOSS & Ubuntu in Bangladesh

M. Adnan Quaium adnan.quaium at linux.org.bd
Tue May 17 15:52:51 UTC 2011

About the naming convention, when I use Ubuntu and go to Office, I see
Presentation, Spreadsheet and Wordprocessor. Those names are really self
explanatory comparing to Powerpoint and Excel (Word is exceptional though).
For a newbie, what does the names Excel and Powerpoint stand for? How could
a newbie know that 'Excel' is for spreadsheet, 'Access' is for database and
'Powerpoint' is for presentation? In this case, to my opinion, Ubuntu is
maintaining an 'easy' standard for naming convention for the user.

Yah, I also say that Windows has its own features and GNU has its own
> features, but no common standards. So, problem is lacking of a standard.
> (Note: Standards exist for OS, it is maintained in the perspective of
> develper but not in the perspective of an end-user. I wanted to say it)

I don't get it. If you think all the OS should be same looking then there
should not be necessity of other OS. And everyone would be sued by
Microsoft. And I wouldn't find the fact that there is another OS which is
easier for me to use than Windows. Moreover if the two standards (POSIX and
Windows) are merged together there will be a hell of massacre from file
system to software running.

   If a programmer learns anything like Object/ class/ consturctor/
> abstrction/encapsulation/ .... and uses any product of a company say .NET
> and if s/he needs to work on another lanuage like PHP, s/he doesn't need to
> hunt for the name, what is used in PHP for that. Just s/he can search for
> example of class/constructor in php. And, s/he will get the answer. This is
> not memorising, this is from learning. If I need diffrent different name all
> time, that is memorisation.

Why the different names are so difficult? In Ubuntu we get 'System', in
Windows the same thing is 'Control Panel'. As long as the terms are self
explanatory, I do not see any problem with the 'names'. Yes... if the
'System' menu in Kubuntu is called 'Planet Zombie' than it would be a
problem. Because the user have no idea what a 'Planet Zombie' is doing in
the menu.

Having choices is good for any software, but thousands of distro (not
> version) for same OS rather becomes a trouble for a new user to choose the
> right solution.

Not the 'thousand of distros from same OS', it should be 'thousands of
distros or OSs from the same kernel'. It should be a good news, that at
least a bunch of OSs are actually maintaining a same Kernel standards! Not
all distros are for everyone. From the very beginning, Linux based OSs are
created for specified people. Different distros are for different categories
of people. Well... for the general users there is always Ubuntu.
Nevertheless, general people doesn't know that there are several distros,
unless you tell them to scare. When I promote Ubuntu to someone, they think
'Ubuntu == Linux'. Gradually they figure out that there are hundreds of
other distros which are made for special jobs. At that time they don't get
confused that much. A new user, in any OS, do not get confused by
themselves. Does a MAC user confused by so many OSs of BSD? Or does a
Windows user confused by so many versions of Windows? No, because there is
no one to scare them. So in any OSs. there is a very little chance of
confusion. And for the people who are using it, they really like the
'choice'. 'Choice' is why I am using Ubuntu & Kubuntu. If I had no choice,
then I had to use Windows and had to install Windows in every month. So
choice is important.

--
M. Adnan Quaium